Monday, May 10, 2010

Political Talk (Demagoguery) And Their Meanings

Economist Bob Higgs translates conventional politico-speak into their intended messages, in an article which he calls "When a Congressman Says X, He Is Thinking Y"

Some samples (includes my comments)

X : I will serve the people of this district to the best of my ability.

Y: I intend to look out for my own interest every step of the way, so unless you’re the highest bidder for my services, you’d better start saying your prayers now.

(my comment: corruption free government? That's utter nonsense. The more dependent people are on governments the greater the risks of corruption)

***

X: The people have spoken, and they have chosen me.

Y: The rich guys and well-heeled organizations that backed my candidacy picked me to run, and they coughed up enough dough to buy or steal this election for me. I’d be a damned fool to forget who put me in office.

(my comment: it's a political quid pro quo. That's if you grasp the reality that politics is an affair of people and not some delusional divine rights of political "masters")


***

X: America [or country X-additional remarks mine] needs A, B, and C.

Y: My critical electoral coalition stands to make a shipload of money off of A, B, and C. If I want to keep my sorry ass in office, I’d better do everything in my power to see that the government carries out A, B, and C.

(my comment: simply throw money at social problems to make politicians look good to win elections)

***

X: Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen. Just let me assure you that I will continue to do my very best to prove that I deserve your continued trust and support.

Y: Money talks, bullshit walks.

(my comment: this is self explanatory)

Read more here

No comments: