Saturday, August 14, 2010

Quote of the Day on Self Learning And Death of Credentials

Says Richard Kaalgard at Forbes Magazine (Hat tip: Professor Arnold Kling)

“Self-learning rules. We are at the beginning of the Death of Credentials. The ROI for 95% of college educations will be negative.”

That’s just one of the insightful “10 cheap revolution” or “creative destruction” rules cited by Mr. Kaalgard in today's transition to the information age.

This has been one of my themes wherein I noted that online learning has the potential to pop the inflating bubble at the Philippine Education System.

And also, if self learning and death of credentialism determines the jobs or career of tomorrow, then what good is it to extend the domestic education cycle?

3 comments:

dannybuntu said...

This post is close to my heart and I couldn't agree with you more.

My wife and I are currently homeschooling our children and now my 8 year old kid (Yes I got married at the age of 20) can now read 1 150 page book a day.

My current occupation which is a freelance writer does not need any credentials save for the ability to write.

A comprehensive solution could be like the initiatives being taken by Mr. Bill Gates. I hope that one day he will find the time to show how his system works particularly in the third world.

Specialization would still be required for certain occupations. I agree though that primary education could use a more focused approach where quantity is not necessarily the main focus.

Elevic Pernis said...

The sad fact remains though: Employers require prospective employees some credentials, even though the required skills can be learned on the job, or through resources other than formal learning.

If employers would recognize competence achieved through self-education, the demand of university degrees would significantly drop.

dannybuntu said...

"the demand of university degrees would significantly drop."

Yes, which could probably explain why the wheels of change turn ever so slowly.