Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Olympics: Trend of Breaking Records Accelerates! What drives them?

From the Economist,

``TUMBLING world records are part of the Olympic experience, but just how much have swimmers or runners improved over the past 100 years? In Beijing, new records have been set in the most glamorous events in athletics and swimming—the men's 100m sprint and freestyle. Jamaica's Usain Bolt cruised to victory, taking his own 100m sprint world record down by three-hundredths of a second to 9.69 seconds. In the century or so since official records began, the quickest time has fallen by just under a second—a 9% improvement. But in the pool, Australia's Eamon Sullivan covered 100m in the heats (although he lost in the final) in a world-fastest time of 47.05 seconds, 19 seconds (and 28%) quicker than the record-holder of 1905."

Courtesy of the Economist

With these trends here are some questions we’d like to know…

-Has demographics or world population growth been a significant contributor to these developments?

Or more people equals better odds for outperformance?

-or has rapid and sweeping advances in technology or “sports science” (sports gears, equipments, arenas-e.g. pool design, scientific training etc…) been the major driver?

Example, this from the New York Times (underscore mine), ``As swimming becomes more popular, it attracts better athletes, who often stay in the sport for more than one Olympics and have access to increasingly sophisticated sports science. Swimmers who once concentrated mostly on endurance now spend up to 50 percent of their training on refining the technical aspects of kicking, pulling, breathing and body position, said Genadijus Sokolovas, director of sports science for USA Swimming….

``American swimmers here are accompanied by four sports-science experts. Each race is videotaped. Immediately after a race, each swimmer has an ear pricked to test for lactic-acid levels. After a warm-down swim, video analysis is made immediately available to monitor stroke counts, distance per stroke, split times, and the biomechanics of takeoffs and turns.

Another example (HT: Forbes’ Josh Wolfe) Phil Mickelson’s Congressional testimony on the importance of Math and Science (emphasis mine)``I use math and science every day, and it's not just adding yardages to the pin. I actually practice based on statistics. I use course management based on numbers. For instance, I know that my margin of error is plus or minus 5 or 6 percent. So if I have a 200 yard shot, 6 percent of that is going to be 32 yards off line - that's going to be my margin of error. And there's even more science involved in equipment I use. Launch angles, spin rate, loft, deflection, initial velocity, the transfer of energy. I continually work with companies like Callaway and some of the most technical design processes to optimize the performance of my clubs.”

I use statistics to maximize my practice. I do a drill with 3-foot putts. And I can make 100% of them. But at 4 feet, it's 88%, at 5 feet 78%, and at 6 feet, it's only 65%. So while I may not be wasting my time trying to add 20 yards to my drives, what I really need to do is hit my chip shots within 3 feet of the hole. That's the best way to lower my score."

-or has the global political economic dimensions of Olympics (globalization’s role-e.g. training abroad or migration trends; investment or financing of participants a function of markets or of government?; type of government and or social acceptability etc..) played a major role?

No comments: